What do I need to study the course? You should enjoy Maths, and want to carry on post 16. You need to have achieved at least a grade C. It is a level 3 qualification with UCAS points equivalent to an AS level. What does the course involve? Paper 1: Comprehension 40% of the total qualification Overview of content : applications of statistics probability linear programming sequences and growth. Paper 2: Applications : 60% of the total qualification 2 sections and a source booklet. The source booklet will detail one themed task in Section A – this will be the same as one of the contexts provided in Paper 1. Students will need to refer to the source booklet when answering the question. Section B will contain three tasks, each of which has a separate theme. The four themes will be assessed in the written paper, which requires students to apply their problem-solving skills in order to answer the questions. Why study Mathematics in Context? The core maths qualifications, backed by some of the country’s biggest employers, are designed to give young people the maths knowledge they need in everyday life by preparing them and equipping them with the mathematics requirements for a number of higher education courses, higher apprenticeships in a wide range of industry sectors, professional training and university. Giving skills to support pupils if they want to run their own business or lead a company. increase their confidence in managing personal finances: interest rates, mortgage repayments, tax affairs understand the best approach to use to solve problems across a range of workplace and commercial settings present real-life situations in mathematical terms and use their own skills to answer related questions and issues
Links & Resources
Lightcliffe Academy, Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe, Halifax, HX3 8TL Tel: 01422 201028 Fax: 01422 204615 contactus@lightcliffeacademy.co.uk Abbey Multi Academy Trust, c/o Chapter House, Abbey Grange Church of England Academy, Butcher Hill, Leeds, LS16 5EA Tel: 0113 257877 enquiries@abbeytrust.org
Company No.: 07705552