Key Stage 4
There are two courses available for study at KS4, GCSE Health and Social Care and BTEC Health and Social Care. GCSE Health and Social Care: Course overview GCSE Health and Social Care is an ideal subject if you enjoy variety and learning about lots of individual topics. It is a study of human and how we grow and develop throughout our lives. It is an academic course and requires students to work independently and look at the care services in our country. Over 2 years we cover 2 individual units. GCSE Health and Social Care ideally suited to students who want to work in careers such as Midwifery, Nursing, Medicine, Social Services, and Teaching, as you will study an awareness of the needs and requirements of patients and clients, as well as an awareness of how individuals develop throughout their lives physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially. Students will produce 1 portfolio of coursework worth 60% of the overall mark. They will then complete an exam, worth the remaining 40%. Each unit will consist of a taught theoretical teacher led section with either individual or group class work activities. The coursework will be completed in class as a controlled assessment and will be based on the services we have researched and visited Assessment Unit 1- Understanding Personal Development and Relationships Examination 40% This unit is assessed through a 1-hour and 15-minute written examination paper which has a total of 70 marks. The paper consists of 15 multiple-choice questions and a series of questions based on case studies and short scenarios. Unit 2- Exploring Health, Social Care and Early Years Provision Coursework 60% This unit is internally assessed through an Edexcel-set task to be completed under controlled conditions. It will be internally assessed by your teacher and externally moderated. It is marked out of 50. Students will complete all the tasks in lesson. Progression Once students have completed the course you may choose to study Health and Social Care at sixth form, where we have the Double and Single Award BTEC National in Health and Social Care. Health and Social Care courses lead to careers working with people in the service and care industry. Some of the many careers you could pursue are; Working with children and adults with disabilities, Health care worker, Nursery Nurse/Child Minder, Social Worker, Nursing, Teaching and Education, Health services , Counselling or Local Government. Examination Board: Edexcel BTEC Health and Social Care: Course Overview BTEC Health and Social Care is an ideal subject if you enjoy variety and learning about lots of individual topics. It is a vocational course and focuses on real life work experiences. Over 3 years we cover 4 individual units. It is ideally suited to students who want to work in careers such as Midwifery, Nursing, Medicine, Social Services, Teaching, Paediatrics or Care Management as you will study an awareness of the needs and requirements of patients, as well as an awareness of how individuals develop throughout their lives physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially. Assessment You will do 3 pieces of coursework and 1 exam in order to pass the course. The units we will study are; Unit 1- Human Lifespan Development (Exam) Unit 2- Health and Social Values (Coursework) Unit 5- Promoting Health and Well-Being (Coursework) Unit 6- The Impact of Nutrition on Health and Well-Being (Coursework) Your exam will be sat in January of Year 10 and you will have an opportunity to re-sit. Your coursework will be completed in class time and for homework. You will be taught the theoretical information first and then receive an assignment brief with tasks to complete to create a portfolio of coursework. Your coursework will be marked and handed back to you to make improvements before the final submission. You will be able to find revision help and coursework guidance on our HUB department page in order to help you study at home. Progression Health and Social Care courses lead to careers working with people in the service and care industry. Some of the many careers you could pursue are; Working with children and adults with disabilities, Health care worker, Nursery Nurse/Child Minder, Social Worker, Nursing, Teaching and Education, Health services , Counselling or Local Government.
Links & Resources
Lightcliffe Academy, Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe, Halifax, HX3 8TL Tel: 01422 201028 Fax: 01422 204615 contactus@lightcliffeacademy.co.uk Abbey Multi Academy Trust, c/o Chapter House, Abbey Grange Church of England Academy, Butcher Hill, Leeds, LS16 5EA Tel: 0113 257877 enquiries@abbeytrust.org
Company No.: 07705552